Continuity of cultural practices often requires aid and support of sympathetic outsiders; yet, it is only in action that it retains longevity. Madhukali has organized concerts, workshops and seminars. Young and mature artistes have been encouraged with award and felicitation. Appreciation modules in various fields – art, music, theatre – introduce the young to aesthetics and creative thought. Dr. Misra proclaimed that existence of an artiste is justified by his art. The only competition he may be allowed is with himself. Yet, as an educator devoted to standardizing of music-teaching, he was tolerant to the idea of healthy competition – the sort that would encourage a person towards a particular art-form. He considered it the responsibility of educators involved that while it serves to provide a platform, the competition should not generate materialistic traits and negative emotions of jealousy and rivalry.
During most of his adult age, the boy-wizard of Sitar constantly tried to reach the young talent. Chandrakant’s desire was to identify and encourage musical talent. He would travel to regular schools, institutions for differently-abled and even resorts for senior, so that music played first-hand could relax, heal and inspire the listeners. In memory of his father and Guru, Sardeshmukh Maharaj, he constituted an award for talent-of-the-year. After Chandrakant left for his heavenly abode, his wife Dr. Pooja Sardeshmukh, in consultation with friends, academics and musicians decided to follow a transparent, time-bound system to encourage young musicians taking up Sitar. The foundation has approached reputed Guru-s, teachers and institutions to motivate their students for Annual Chandrakant Sitar Award. From this year – 23rd February 2013 – a concert Nava Swar too has been planned to provide a platform to talent identified through the award process.
First Dr. Chandrakant Sardeshmukh Sitar Competition 2013
The First Dr. Chandrakant Sardeshmukh Sitar competition will be held by Darshanam, Japan in Pune in 2013. Details are as below.
l – CONDITIONS
1. The Competition is open to all artists performing on traditional Indian Sitar.
2. And to those who belong to any state of India, with age limits 15-28 as of January 1st 2013.
3. The winner of the past edition is not allowed to compete again. (Not applicable for 2013)
4. Application materials must be received no later than March 15th 2013, and must be sent to: Darshanam c/o Dr. Pooja Sardeshmukh, 203 Amruta Apartments, Ashok Path, Off Law College Road, Erandavane, Pune 411004, email email@example.com
5. The Competition organization in cooperation with other entities will offer the possibility to organize some concerts for the winner of the Competition.
6. The jury is not obliged to award all the prizes. Their decision is final.
7. All grants and prizes shall be subject to taxes at the statutory rate.
8. The awarded artists must personally collect their prize in the award ceremony separately held, and will play during the Winners Concert without receiving a remuneration. A refusal entails cancellation of the award.
9. For 2013 Competition, there is no entry fee.
ll – APPLICATIONS
1. The following documents must be sent well before March 15th, 2013
a) Photocopy of legal document regarding age and nationality.
b) One passport size photograph, in a digital format, if possible, sent by e-mail.
c) Brief Curriculum Vitae in English.
d) Application form
e) A 20 minute Audio CD recording.
f) Performance also uploaded to You Tube and (not public but selective) URL link sent to Darshanam
g) One passport size photograph of performance mood with instrument.
lll – COMPETITION STAGES -Calendar for 2013
1. The Competition consists of an Eliminatory Round and Final.
a. ELIMINATORY ROUND: Based on the Audio CD recordings, up to 8 finalists will be selected
b. FINAL: A self chosen program lasting no longer than 40 minutes, consisting of pieces of different styles. To be performed in person, in Amruta Apartments, Ashok Path, Off Law College Road, Erandavane, Pune (Residence of Dr. Chandrakant Sardeshmukh)
c. The Final round will be open to public. Capacity of Amruta Apartment is about 30 persons.
d. Felicitation of awardees will take place in Annual Darshanam Awards event in December
2. No work may be repeated.
3. All the works must be performed by heart.
4. CD recordings will be received from the contestants by Darshanam and will not be returned.
5. Preliminary screening of CDs will be conducted by Darshanam Team members.
6. Final round judges will be selected by Darshanam Team members
lV – CALENDAR 2013
1. Jan 01- Mar 15- Receive applications
2. Mar 15-May 30 – Eliminatory round
3. May 30 –June 10 – Final round candidates will be informed by email
4. August 17- 18 Final round will be conducted
5. August 17 Session #1 -Morning session – 10 AM to 12 PM – 4 artists will perform.
6. August 17 Session #2 -Afternoon session from 3 PM to 7 PM, next 4 artists will perform.
7. August 18 – Awards will be declared
8. August 18- finalists workshop will be conducted in Amruta
9. December 28/29 Annual Darshanam Awards event in Pune
V – PRIZES
1. Only one prize will be given as cash award of Rs. 20,000.
2. All finalists will be given certificates by Darshanam
VI – LOCATION
1. Pune City, Maharashtra.
VII – ACCOMMODATION & TRAVEL
1. For artists when they perform in event planned by Darshanam, basic accommodation will be taken care of.
2. Artists will have to bear their own To and Fro travel costs.